Sunday, September 2, 2007

Grad school application tips: Part 1 - I will succeed

Since I haven't started grad school yet (and won't for a couple weeks), I can't write about it. In the mean time, I thought I would help people out with some tips on getting in to science PhD programs. I will be attending a school with an excellent reputation; I won't tell you which one, so that none of you crazy internet stalkers can track me down and hack me to a million pieces, but we're talking top five in physics. Hopefully these tips can help others get into some awesome programs as well.

I'll post these tips in installments as I recall them. I've been trying to forget the whole ordeal; it was not fun and was complicated by the fact I applied to US schools while living overseas.

One last thing before I begin: I will try not to dwell on the obvious. We've all heard a million times about the importance of research experience, letters of recommendation etc. These things are extremely important, and I am not discounting this. Rather, I will focus on other considerations that aren't emphasized so widely but are equally important.

Tip 1: I will succeed.

The number 1 idea you should have in your head every second you spend filling out your application is: "I want the application committee to have no doubt that I will be successful in their program."

After all, this is what the application process is all about, figuring out who will be successful. These schools make a significant financial investment in every student and they don't want their students getting frustrated and quiting. I have found that schools are shying away from practices designed to "filter" students out after a few years in the program; most departments want each student admitted to succeed in the program.

I am serious when I say "have this idea in your head every second you spend on the application." Convincing the committee that you will succeed is your goal; your application packet is the tool medium through which you must accomplish this. For example, you will undoubtedly have to write some sort of personal statement. You'll get a lame prompt along the lines of "Describe your reasons for pursuing a graduate degree, your past work and experiences, and your goals and plans for future occupation." You should read the prompt as the follows: "Leave us with no doubt in our minds that you are an excellent match for our program, and will be a successful student who has what it take to gets through. In convincing us of this discuss your reasons for pursuing a graduate degree, your past work and experiences, and your goals and plans for future occupation."

The same strategy applies to all aspects of your application, such as listing achievements and honors etc.

Good luck, more to come soon.

(Click the "application tips" link below to see everything I've written on this topic.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi mike..

Good luck in your decision to pursue your PhD study. Nway, i found it was very encouraging advice that u've share with others..

wish u all the best

amir, malaysia

Anonymous said...

You write very well.